Re: Downloader design proposal

> - You should not need to "open" Nautilus. It should be always opened. In
> fact, as I see it, Nautilus *is* GNOME. If you use Epiphany without
> Nautilus you are definitely not in our supposed user base.
>
> - If the filepicker does a better job than Nautilus to manage files then
> drop Nautilus and use the picker everywhere, God knows it's much ligther
> in resources.

We discussed this already on irc but to make others know too ...

I dont think the problem is substituting the filepicker to the
filemanager. The problem is that using a filepicker can be in some cases
easier and faster. It's some more convenient and doesnt require to use
memory.

> - And yes, I understand some people prefer to be forced to micromanage
> everything with a filepicker before it's actually stored in the system,
> that's why we have Download Link As.

Download Link As is a good step but doesnt solve the problem fully.

In fact often Armando click the links without noticing they are
downloads. Now he got a file he doesnt need on disk, and since he needs
to manage a lot of local data and the filesystem is so far the only way
he can do it, files add clutter to his hierarchies and he needs to
delete the file downloaded. If he did know before he would have not
clicked on that damned link ! Next time he will fear to click links
which isnt a nice feeling ... (and make him lose time for each click).

We have a sensible use case (some people need to keep in local a lot of
files and manage them) and a solution that with more or less the same
clutter cost of the context menu can fill the case.
Micromanaging is not something everyone is capable to do and I'm sure we
all agree that a better way to be a able to manage a lot of local data
would be desiderable. Though there is no gain in making it harder than
it is. The cost for people unable to micromanage is small.

Marco