Re: Downloader design proposal

lör 2004-01-17 klockan 02.20 skrev Xan Lopez:

> I agree about something like this for automatic downloads (in fact we
> already have it, without pref). But I have yet to see a good reason to
> why is so important for people to be able to micromanage every single
> file they download *from the filepicker*. If using nautilus, the GNOME
> file manager, to manage files is such a horrible nightmare we are surely
> making some big mistakes in its design.

I know I've said this to you at least in one mail to the Epiphany list
and one time on IRC but I'll say it again :)

The reason is that you decide where to put the file _before_ it's put
there. That way you don't have to open another application and find the
file just to move it. And chosing where to put one file is much faster
done in the filepicker than in Nautilus (unless you have shortcuts to
all your directories where you want to put things available on your
desktop).

> Besides, we added Download Link As... in the context menu, which will
> show a filepicker in case you really want that. Of course, this
> requires one more click, but I see it as the way for skilled people to
> make their downloads, and I think we should try to design for the
> average user, not the expert one.

Yeah, but say you turn of automatic download. You get a dialog that asks
what you want to do, do you think that you should then just get a
Cancel. Go back to the browser window, right-click, chose Save as...

I don't see how this in _any_ way makes it harder to use for the
"average" user? That user wouldn't unset the auto download preference
and never even see this dialog.

Sometimes you just can't make _one_ solution that fits all. I personally
think this is such a time.

Regards,
  Mikael Hallendal

--
Mikael Hallendal               micke imendio com
Imendio HB                     http://www.imendio.com