Re: Downloader design proposal

lör 2004-01-17 klockan 01.36 skrev Marco Pesenti Gritti:
> Hi,

Hi!

Marco, I like this very much.

> Renata has problems using Mozilla. She goes to the web page that
> contains the documentation for his work, she click on the right link but
> the dialogs she get at that point is very confusing. She try to click
> ok. She get a file picker now, she have seen it using Word and she ever
> clicked ok there, so she does it here too.
> The download start but she have no idea on how to see the document now !
> Where is it gone ?! She call Armando and has to pay him to be able to
> see his document.

One this that concerns me a bit about the auto-fallback to Download is
that for a person like Renata most files wouldn't do her any good to
download if she doesn't have a handler for it.

Isn't it very likely that she'll end up with a bunch of files that she
can't access? I mean, what's the point in downloading the file and store
it on disk if she doesn't have any applications that can show her the
content?

> 3 Browser
>
> Renata can finally see his documents without the help of Armando. She
> click on the link and the file opens.
>
> Armando changed a preference in epiphany and now he feel the behavior
> much more flexible. He can confirm to download the link he clicked on
> and use the download folder when he is in a hurry (he can move files to
> his nice hierarchy later). When he wants to put his file in his
> downloads hierarchy or something else he just choose another button in
> the dialog.

Yeah, I think a preference for this behaviour is justified.

> SHORT TIME
>
> To end the funny story here is a description of the actual user
> interface I'm proposing. They are very simple to hack, and we have
> alredy most of them, so I think we can easily target 2.6:

Great!

> - "Download and open files automatically" checkbox in the preferences.
> Default ON, when it's OFF we show a confirmation dialog.

Sounds good.

> - Confirmation dialog:
>
> (Sucky text, it should prolly be something like 1.0 text)
>
> It's not possible to open the link directly in the browser. The file
> will be downloaded.
>
> Save As - Cancel - Open (prolly Download when there is no handler).

I was thinking, would it be possible to have a filebrowser directly
here, with the buttons.

[Cancel] [Open] [Save] or something?

> - Security Dialog
>
> [Text to write.]
>
> Cancel - Download
>
> It should be showed when the mime type is unsafe.

Is this intended for both default behaviour and when the user has turned
of auto download?

Thanks Marco, great to see this finally being addressed.

Best Regards,
  Mikael Hallendal

--
Mikael Hallendal               micke imendio com
Imendio HB                     http://www.imendio.com