Re: [Galeon-user] Brainstorm: Web Development Tools

Tarax wrote:
| On Thursday 19 February 2004 23:12, Adam Hooper wrote:
|>Would CSS validation be useful? What other neat things could it do?
|>

| yes, I think the very first improvement of browsers from the web dev
point of
| view would be a full set of local, ergonomic validation services
including:
| (x)html, css, wai, svg, xml, javascript console, to make it short, all
that's
| processed or can/could be procesed by the web client.

Not sure how to do WAI. Right now I *think* my Error Viewer will
validate SVG just fine, but I haven't tested it. As for XML, Mozilla
will display an error and abort loading if it doesn't validate (or is
that just if it's not well-formed?). That leaves out everything but CSS,
so CSS is next on my radar.

| Aside of validation, the availability of specs would be a nice
complement.
| Sites like zvon.org already offer side bars for that.

That'd basically mean implementing a SideBar extension in Epiphany (or
using Galeon). I can't think of a more efficient way to browse the specs.

|>*** CSS Hacks ***
|>I'm not sure about how this would be integrated in the UI. Basically,
|>these would be little things like "highlight block-level elements,"
|
| Don't get this one, could u explain ?

It'd be a clone of those bookmarklets that apply tiny CSS tweaks, such
as "table div tr td p { border: 5px solid red !important; }". I used to
use a Firdbird "Web Development Toolbar" that had a few of these. They
come in handy (but iirc the toolbar was buggy).

| But makes me think about having blocks
| squared with a shiny color (or transparently tinted) when u select
them in
| the DOM tree.

Hadn't thought of that, but now that you mention it, I'd obviously just
*have* to do it ;).

| Pushing the limits, a graphicaly efficient way to represent the
| nesting/overlaping of the blocks would be the "cherry on the cake" ;-)

CSS3 has some cool features, such as an alpha channel for colours (i.e.,
semitransparencies) and advanced selectors. This idea could be the
"ultimate CSS hack", a stylesheet which would simply rock.

|>*** HTML Playground ***
| may I dream of vim integration ? tell me yes please !

You may, I love vim. But I'd begin to worry about the interface becoming
too complex and "IDE-like." Well, we'll see what happens :).

|>This would work for
|>file:/// uris, too, or ssh:/// or sftp:/// uris.
|
| WebDAV ?

Yes, GnomeVFS supports WebDAV (I think).

| Man u have great ideas, If u care, I'll carry on thinking about all
this and
| keep u on touch

Thank you for your encouragement :).

| _best_ regards
|
| Tarax
|
| PS: do u have any url where we could keep track of ur work and ideas ?
| will have a look back at epiphany's website...

No. I've got a blog on Advogato but I don't really keep it up to date
and I have no screenshots on it. http://www.advogato.org/person/noda

- --
Adam Hooper
adamh densi com