Re: [Galeon-user] Brainstorm: Web Development Tools

Adam Hooper wrote:
Tarax wrote:
| On Thursday 19 February 2004 23:12, Adam Hooper wrote:
|>Would CSS validation be useful? What other neat things could it do?
| yes, I think the very first improvement of browsers from the web dev
point of
| view would be a full set of local, ergonomic validation services
including:
| (x)html, css, wai, svg, xml, javascript console, to make it short, all
that's
| processed or can/could be procesed by the web client.

Not sure how to do WAI. Right now I *think* my Error Viewer will
validate SVG just fine, but I haven't tested it. As for XML, Mozilla
will display an error and abort loading if it doesn't validate (or is
that just if it's not well-formed?). That leaves out everything but CSS,
so CSS is next on my radar.

To follow up on myself: I forgot about a link checker. Mozilla's got services to implement this and I've hacked up the Error Viewer to support link checking on my local machine. It works, but it gives no feedback (it should have a progress window) and it crashes Epiphany on exit (some memory mismanagement somewhere).

As with all web development tools, this link checker is very simple -- it has no options and I don't plan on adding any. I'm not aiming to create a full-featured Link Checker program like the slew available on Freshmeat; I'm making a simple link checker that Just Works. Well, it *will* Just Work ;).

I'll probably finish it up tomorrow. For now, I can't: my router's CPU fan stopped working and it overheated... and my desktop can't seem to talk to my ISP for some reason (so I'm writing this on my laptop, without my PGP key). This lack of Internet is scary....

Anyway, those interested might want to watch GNOME's epiphany-extensions CVS module in the next 48 hours....

--
Adam Hooper
adamh densi com