Re: Kiosk mode

Christopher James Lahey wrote:
I've been looking at epiphany and thinking about what sort of things
we'll need for a kiosk mode.  I reread the thread from a couple of
months ago and have started to quantify what I think we need.  I've come
up with a few keys I think we should implement.  Please comment on
these.  Especially comment if you've thought of any other keys that I
haven't commented on.

Nice to see someone looking into this :) Just a couple of comments which i hope are helpful:

url_allow
default: ""
Usage: If non-empty, all urls will be checked against this regexp.  If
they don't match, then they won't be displayed.  If possible, I'd like
to make it so that this regexp must match the beginning of the url so
that people can't view urls like 'javascript: whatever(); "print
http:";'
Possible suggested values: "http:", "http:|ftp:", "http:|ftp:|file:",
"http://mylocalwebsite/";

Yep, sounds ok, but is there any reason for it not to just be a normal (grep style) regexp? (so i can do something like "http://*.google.com"; or whatever - i might not actually know what all the servers inside google.com are called, but I might want to trust them all).

url_deny
default: ""
Usage: If non-empty, all urls will be checked against this regexp.  If
they match, then they won't be displayed.  No ^ will be prepended.
Possible suggested values: "^about:", "^file:"

So unlike the above, this is a proper regexp? (like "^about:" means all urls beginning with "about:")

enable_save_to_disk (Perhaps this should be a global gnome setting?)
default: true
Usage: If false, the user will not be able to save data to disk.  This
will disable Save As, Save Background As, and Download Link, as well as
the download option for unknown urls.

Maybe this should actually remove those items altogether?

enable_execute_arbitrary_commands (This should probably be a global
gnome setting?)
default: true
Usage: If false, the user will not be able to execute arbitrary
commands.  The main place that I know of that this would currently
affect things is the print dialog.  The print dialog shouldn't contain a
command line anyway, but until that's fixed, this key should disable
printing.

enable_printing
default: true
Usage: If false, the user should not be able to print at all.

enable_print_setup
default: true
Usage: If false, the user will not be able to set any print settings. File->Print and javascript printing will just cause the default settings
to be used.

Print Preview is currently accessed from print setup -- with this, the user wouldn't be able to print preview either...

enable_bookmark_editing
default: true
Usage: If false the user will not be able to edit bookmarks.  I would
prefer not to have this key and simply have the ability to lock down the
tree of gconf keys for bookmarks and have epiphany notice that said tree
is locked down, but I'm not sure if that's possible.  This would cause
all menus involved in bookmark editing to disappear.

enable_toolbar_editing
default: true
Usage: If false the user will not be able to edit the toolbars.  I would
prefer not to have this key and simply have the ability to lock down the
tree of gconf keys for toolbars and have epiphany notice that said tree
is locked down, but I'm not sure if that's possible.  This would cause
all menus involved in toolbar editing to disappear.

Would the user still be able to show/hide the toolbar? Also, would this affect the bookmarks bar?

enable_tabs
default: true
Usage: If false, epiphany would not have the ability to use tabbed
browsing.

At least one of the following two.

enable_new_window
default: true
Usage: If false, epiphany would not have the ability to open a new
window.

max_window_count:
default: 0
Usage: If non-zero, the maximum number of open windows allowed.  Set to
1 to disallow new windows.

enable_quit
default: true
Usage: If false, the user would not be able to quit epiphany.

enable_menus
default: true
Usage: If false, there would be no menus.

enable_arbitrary_url
default: true
Usage: If false, the user would not be able to browse to an arbitrary
URL.  This would include making the location bar disappear and disabling
C-l.

enable_navigation
default: false
Usage: If false, no navigation other than clicking on links would be
allowed.

> <snip>

Maybe a "enable_history_ui" key defaulting to true which removes all references to history in the UI (history would still be tracked as normal)?

Perhaps we need a key "enable_help" too defaulting to true, which when false would remove the Help Manual menu entry and all Help buttons in dialogs (since the admin may not want the users opening Yelp).

Thanks,

-spark