Re: Kiosk mode

> >url_allow
> >default: ""
> >Usage: If non-empty, all urls will be checked against this regexp.  If
> >they don't match, then they won't be displayed.  If possible, I'd like
> >to make it so that this regexp must match the beginning of the url so
> >that people can't view urls like 'javascript: whatever(); "print
> >http:";'
> >Possible suggested values: "http:", "http:|ftp:", "http:|ftp:|file:",
> >"http://mylocalwebsite/";
>
> Yep, sounds ok, but is there any reason for it not to just be a normal
> (grep style) regexp? (so i can do something like "http://*.google.com";
> or whatever - i might not actually know what all the servers inside
> google.com are called, but I might want to trust them all).
>

> >url_deny
> >default: ""
> >Usage: If non-empty, all urls will be checked against this regexp.  If
> >they match, then they won't be displayed.  No ^ will be prepended.
> >Possible suggested values: "^about:", "^file:"
>
> So unlike the above, this is a proper regexp? (like "^about:" means all
> urls beginning with "about:")

How would this affect programs which are run out of the browser via a
mime-type lookup?  One of the favorite ways we used to get around these
types of lockouts in college was to just go to a URL such as
http://blah.com/my/stuff/whatever.exe which would download and run the
program, which was generally a registry editing program that let us
remove the parameters that locked us out of the control panel and
browser restrictions.  Something like this could be done for gnome I
figure.

Granted, smart people will eventually find a way to get around any sort
of restrictions if they are peristant enough, but something like
allow_command_execute or allow_command_execute_regex which you could put
something like ^/usr/bin/(realplayer|eog|totem)$ to allow only those
programs to be spawned from epi when browsing, or don't allow them at
all.

Alan

--
Alan <alan ufies org> - http://arcterex.net
"There are only 3 real sports: bull-fighting, car racing and mountain