Re: [Epiphany] Re: bookmark system

On Fri, 2003-05-16 at 18:00, David Adam Bordoley wrote:
> The question should not be whether or not it is technically feasable but
> whether it is even desirable from a usability standpoint. Hierarchical
> folders are hard to use and many of us on the ui team have long hoped for a
> way to escape the hierarchical file system and replace it with something
> more database like.

But "database like" must come with extended query capabilities,
otherwise it's a step back into the CP/M 1.0 or MS-DOS 1.0 filesystem
with no hierarchy either (only half kidding here)..

I wish more people had experienced the BeOS filesystem. It's entirely
possible to combine a hierarchic access mode with attribute-based
management and advanced query capabilities, and THAT's truly what makes
a system both powerful and easy to use. It shouldn't matter whether
files/bookmarks are stored in a hierarchy or not if you can also make
arbitrary queries into the structure and get back a flat view.

Evolution's virtual folders are a pale shadow of what the power of the
system can be, for those who are familiar with that implementation..

--
Osma Ahvenlampi <oa@iki.fi>

This is a digitally signed message part