Re: [Epiphany] Epiphany RPM packages for RH9

On 13 May 2003, Marco Pesenti Gritti wrote:

> On Tue, 2003-05-13 at 07:14, Dag Wieers wrote:
>
> > Now I have some questions about the build-process.
> >
> >  + The configure-option --enable-nautilus-view still seems to compile the
> >    Nautilus stuff. (ie. the same files are in the package) Can you tell me
> >    which files should really go into a seperate package for nautilus ?
> >
> > 	/usr/lib/bonobo/servers/GNOME_Epiphany_NautilusView.server
> > 	... ?
>
> You cant have separate packages right now, because the view is compiled
> in the same binary.

What I really meant was an add-on package, it would still depend on
epiphany. But I'm afraid that the epiphany package would still need
nautilus if it is compiled in the normal binary.

I'm not sure if it makes sense to have 2 binaries for this case.

> >  + The configure option --disable-schemas-install doesn't seem to do
> >    anything. Some projects have a seperate GCONF_DISABLE_MAKEFILE_SCHEMA_INSTALL
> >    to disable the installation of gconf schemas during the build-process.
> >    Can you please add at least one of both methods ? Since I'm building
> >    packages on a seperate sandboxed system. I can't allow write-access to
> >    any files outside the builddir and buildroot.
> >
> >    My current workaround is to use 'make DESTDIR="/" install' as this
> >    seems to disable the process, but I think it's a bad solution.
>
> Hem, this should just work, because we use a macro from gconf. Please
> post a bug about it.

Ok.

> >  + The build-process also seems to add files to /var/scrollkeeper,
> >    something the sandbox also tries to prevent (but the buildprocess fails
> >    because of that).
>
> This is something that also other GNOME apps does I think. Maybe it's
> worth to check how they solve the prob ?

Well, Some have the same problem. Most do it right afaik.

> >  + I'd like to be able to get rid of the text on those buttons. (It
> >    consumes too much space IMO)
>
> Well you can set gnome style to icons only. Text beside icon doesnt
> allow to give some icons priority and have only the text of these

It seems a bug. I had actually configured to use "Text beside buttons"

> >  + Can we have a 'clean' button that erases the Location-bar ? I don't
> >    understand why they removed it from Galeon2 either ;-(
>
> Uhm ctrl+l works well ;) I'm not opposed to have on in toolbar editor
> though. Do others think it would be worth ?

It's just that when my other hand is unavailable (don't ask why ;p Oh
well: PIZZA) using the mouse is much easier/quicker. That's why I prefer a
scroll-mouse over PgUp/PgDn.

> >  + Can I shrink the input-fields of smart bookmarks ? I'd like to have
> >    more than 4 on a 1024 wide screen.
>
> We need to shrink it a bit by default I think, there is a bug open

Ok.

> >  + I love the bookmarks implementation. But it would be nice to make some
> >    changes for handling these bookmarks. I'd like to clean up my
> >    bookmarks but opening the properties of each individual link is
> >    time-consuming. Some of the information (for smart bookmarks eg) is not
> >    accessible ;(
>
> You can edit the titles inline, F2 and add topics with dnd.
> We thought editing url was a low priority task, so it's available only
> in properties.

Well, actually a key-combo for adding a link to the toolbar would be nice.
And if I could have a statusbar showing me the link (when I select a
title) that would be great too (so you know what you're erasing when the
Title is useless).

> >  + Easy access to the proxy-configuration is a must. Especially if you
> >    have a laptop and move around alot. (Like galeon used to have)
>
> You could just put the proxy configuration on your panel ?;)

I can ? Show me where I can find that ;))

PS Where can I add some of these features, so that at least I have the
feeling they're not lost. ;p

--   dag wieers,  dag@wieers.com,  http://dag.wieers.com/   --
«Any errors in spelling, tact or fact are transmission errors»