[Epiphany] Thoughts on Epiphany

Well, I've been an Epiphany user for about 4 or 5 days now, and I'm
REALLY loving it.  I have a few suggestions, though.  I'm not sure how
many of these are planned, etc, but I didn't see anything like these in
Bugzilla or TODO, so here they are:

* When saving files, I'd like the option to have Ephy remember whether I
want to save or open a particular MIME type.  ie: If I'm grabbing a
bunch of RPMS, I'd never hit "open" - so I have to hit Save over and
over and over.  Big PITA. :-)   This, of course, does provide a bit of a
UI problem with regards to turning the "remember" feature *off*...
Thoughts??

* A bookmarks toolbar would be excellent

* some form of built-in search bar.  The current method of having the
address bar do double-duty as a search bar is a bad idea, IMHO.  It's
confusing and inconsistent.  Something like Galeon's smart bookmarks or
Phoenix and Safari's google bar would be better.  If the latter is used,
I'd love to see a way to integrate more than just google searches,
though, so one could do queries of Bugzilla, rpmfind, etc, too.  I'm not
sure if this could all be accomplished without crack-ifying the UI,
though.

* a "Privacy" tab in the preferences, to allow for some amount of
cookie/history/etc.  Something like the current Galeon 1.3.1 "Filters"
tab would do nicely.

* some kind quick hack/workaround to block popups until a "real"
solution is found.  Using Ephy has been such a pleasure, but I could do
without the popups. ;)  I'd be happy even with editing the prefs.js file
or a gconf key, just SOMETHING for testers of Ephy to use until the
final way to handle popups is found.  Again, possible crack here, but if
it's not too hard/intrusive, it'd be *so* nice.

* the ability to block images from a specific site by right clicking on
an image and selecting a "Block all images from
annoying-ad-server.foo.com" type item in the menu.  More possible crack
here, naturally, as one needs the ability to un-block this stuff, too.

That's it!  That's about all it would take to make Ephy the
"nearly-perfect" browser for me.

So, what does everyone think?  I'll bugzilla the suggestions deemed as
smart as the conversation progresses.

 - jck

--
Jens Knutson <jensknutson@yahoo.com>