Re: [Epiphany] Bookmarks window changes

Marco Pesenti Gritti <mpgritti@oltrelinux.com> said:

> On Thu, 2003-02-13 at 04:09, bordoley@msu.edu wrote:
> > I'm concerned about a recent change to the bookmarks ui which allows a user to
> > change the location of a bookmark. In particular, this makes accidentally
> > changing the location of a bookmark trivially easy, with no way to undo.
> > Furthermore, these are bookmarks right, does it even make sense to allow the
> > user to change the location...
>
> Thanks for this mail, I was about to ask to you to do so ;)
> The reason I did that change was mostly to not have all the uris clutter
> the list. I think that's a good change and we should keep it. I have no

Nod...from a layout perspective i agree with you it definately makes the
editor less cluttered looking and I support the change.

> objections making it read only myself (or a label). The reasons I had to
> not make it editable at beginning was more or less these you are saying.
> Someone argued it's sometimes necessary to change the url a bit, I'd
> like to learn about these cases. (ccing the man)
> It would be really cool if we could get a comment by some usability guru
> about this :)

I really fail to see the benefit of changing the address of a bookmark, since
its a pointer to a location. Admittedly, some times links go stale, but isn't
the prefered method of fixing a dead bookmark to delete it and create a new
one pointing at the new location?

Regardless of whether you should be able to edit the address as a matter of
principle, the potential for loss of data is quite high and in the absence of
undo, i'm very uncomfortable with allowing editting of addresses in the
bookmark editor.

dave