Re: Extensions

Hi,

On Wed, 2003-12-31 at 07:51, Lee Willis wrote:
> I noticed the recent 0.6 release of the epiphany extensions stuff and
> have just taken a look. Is there any documentatio anywhere of what
> actions can be plugged into. The reason I'm asking is that I'd like to
> update the epiphany dashboard integration, and turn it into an epiphany
> extension for 1.1.x (This has been done once for the 1.0.x plugin
> architecture - not sure how similar that is to extensions?)
It's not much different than 1.0 plugins... look in ephy-sample-extension.c:
impl_attach_window is what would have been the callback to the session's
add_window signal, and detach_window the callback to the remove_window
signal.

There is someone else working on dashboard plugin too, Andrew Ruthven
[andrew etc gen nz]  He's committed the ephy 1.0 dashboard plugin [get
it from savannah.nongnu.org cvs, module ephyplugins, branch gnome-2-4].

> I've taken a look at the sample plugin, however it doesn't seem to have
> a list of the actions you can attach events to.
No, it's just a template.

> I think I'd need to take actions on the following events:
> - Page load
Look at the signals of EphyEmbed (and also GtkMozEmbed which it
inherits).

> - Page bookmark
Get the bookmarks root node, and attach to EPHY_NODE_CHILD_ADDED signal.

> - Tab change
Connect to EphyWindow's notify::active-tab

> And I'd need access to the following data for each of the above:
> - Page title
> - Page URL
> - Page content
Title/URL can be gotten from EphyTab or its EphyEmbed.
To get the page content, you'll probably need a patch to
EphyEmbedPersist. The dashboard plugin on gnome-2-4 branch has a patch,
but it probably needs to be re-written for epiphany 1.1.x.

> Does that seem like something that extensions can support? If so where's
> the best place to start looking? one of the working extensions?
>
> It seems like the popup blocker may be the best place to start? (Looking
> at the signals it connects to impl_attach_window?)
Yes.

Also, we're trying to get API documentation, but it's still only a few
objects documented and is missing the most interesting bits (EphyEmbed,
EphyTab, EphyWindow etc); so you'll probably need to read epiphany
source code to see how it all works together.

Regards,
	Christian