Re: Downloader UI Rationales

On Wed, 17 Dec 2003, mike wrote:

> > For the ordinary user, I have a strong feeling that the Desktop (ideally
> > equal to $HOME, but that's another discussion) is the most obvious place
> > to find their downloaded files.

> just to comment, personally I hate this idea. The whole thing about the
> desktop is that it is normally covered with windows.

For lots of users, covered with one maximized window. This means either
minimizing the browser to see the recently downloaded files, or minimizing
the browser AND opening a download folder to see them. The former is
quicker, if you ask me.

> Also if you look at any windows user desktop, its normally covered in
> downloaded/saved files, precisely because of this behaviour

Have you asked those windows users if they would like it any other way?
The fact that you and I hate a disorganized mess on our desktops doesn't
mean other users have to be forced to organize it as well.

regards,

--
Reinout van Schouwen			Artificial Intelligence student
email: reinout cs vu nl			mobile phone: +31-6-44360778