RE: About the new download behaviour

>  "and open it" worries me a bit... I'm not talking about security
>issues as I'm sure everybody is aware of them and they are being
>considered.
>  My problem is for example with poorly packaged archives... imagine I
>download a .tar file with a thousand files in it and no top directory on
>my desktop... that wouldn't be fun...

Tthis should really never happen, it would be a nightmare.
Currently file roller just show a list of the files so that you can uncompress
them if you want.
The mac behavior, now that you mention it, sounds very nice to me. Interestingly
it-s the same behavior seth proposed for double click in nautilus.

>  Another thing that annoys me about the similar feature on the Mac is
>that often I want to download the archive and store it somewhere, but
>the system is extracting it and deleting the original file (which may
>seem reasonable, to avoid wasting disk space).

Since you have access to a mac I-d have some questions.

Are all types of files removed after they have been opened ? For example
documents, pdfs etc ...
Clicking does open without showing confirmation ?
Is there a way to just download a file without opening it (how ?).
Is there a way to specify the file name/location (with pref or any other
way) ?

If you could give info on this, I think it would be helpful.

Marco