[Epiphany] Re: [Galeon-devel] RE: Awesome new Mozilla roadmap!

I'm curious, has Galeon's direction and mission statement changed at all with
the advent of Phoenix and Epiphany? Epiphany seems to want to stick rigidly to
the HIG, which is a good thing because I think GNOME needs a HIG-compliant
browser. Unless I'm mistaken, HIG-compliance is (or was) a key goal of Galeon.
Now that Marco has gone off to create Epiphany, is there any need for Galeon to
follow the HIG so rigidly? Galeon1 has become widely used and loved because of
its flexibility and power. IMHO, there was a real need in the community for a
'power-user' browser, and Galeon has filled that slot well.

So where is Galeon2 taking us? From what I can see (please correct me if I'm
wrong), it is ignoring its main userbase and discarding its best features, the
features that made Galeon unique and worth using in the first place. Without
advanced features like session support (with sessions savable to files), I'd
might as well be using Konqueror or Phoenix. And as I alluded to above, there is
no longer any need for simplification (some would say 'dumbing-down') because
Epiphany is already doing that job admirably. Is there any point in having two
HIG-compliant browsers? Surely only one would be admitted to be the official
GNOME browser, so why should Galeon waste its time? Leave that job to Epiphany
and focus on building a functional browser, just as Galeon1 already is.

You already have a strong and loyal userbase. Don't throw that away. On the
contrary, you should try to leverage this userbase to build a great browser.

--
Sridhar Dhanapalan
  [Yama | http://www.pclinuxonline.com/]

"If you set a man by a fire, you keep him warm all day, but set a man on fire
and you keep him warm the rest of his life." -- Terry Pratchett

PGP signature