image downscaling algorithm

Currently you can switch between smoothed (I guess bilinear or bicubic downscaling) and nearest neighbour downscaling in the settings.
I found a pdf describing a state of the art downscaling algorithm which is more efficient than bicubic downscaling and gives better results than even context based downscaling (according to what's written in this pdf).
https://graphics.ethz.ch/~cengizo/Files/Sig15PerceptualDownscaling.pdf
Please read it or at least have a look at the pictures shown there.

I think this algorithm could be implemented in eog and replace the current ("smoothed" and nearest neighbour) ones.

There's also a video:
https://graphics.ethz.ch/~cengizo/Files/Sig15VideoWithVoice.mp4
You likely don't want to watch it in fullscreen or similar but in original (or nearest neighbour upscaled by an integer) resolution.

Thank you for reading.