High Efficiency Image File Format (HEIF) / HEIC support?

Hello,

With the release of iOS 11 and macOS High Sierra, Apple began allowing users to save pictures formatted as HEIF files (on my phone, named with a .heic file extension): https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High_Efficiency_Image_File_Format

On my Ubuntu install, it seems that Eye of GNOME (version 3.18.2) cannot open these files. Just wondering if there are any plans to support them?

Thanks!
Abe