Smooth scrolling

  Hi all,

  I am using EOG 3.4.2 over Kubuntu Precise amd64, actually I have JUST UPGRADED from Kubuntu Oneiric a week ago ... and there's something a bit rare ... an odd behaviour I'd like to let you know.

  It is regarding scrolling. First telling you that some time ago I switched scrolling and zooming using a Dconf-editor option ... so that when I move the finger through my touchpad I'm actually scrolling ... not zooming. Anyway ... to the point :

  The fact is that when I open an image (in my case they use to be LONG 'documents') and I scroll it down and up ... the image is scrolled down and up in little steps ...  BUT ... when the cursor pointer is OVER the scrollbar and I repeat the previous proccess, the scroll movement doesn't happen in little steps but it scrolls in a SMOOTHLY way ... that's GREAT !!!  Here you can watch an example :      https://vimeo.com/50581609

  Well ... I don't know if this is a new behaviour, an expected one ... I don't know whether it is related to an EOG new release (3.4.*) or maybe an new kind of interaction between EOG and Kwin (1) ... the fact is that it's the first time I notice it and I like it a lot  ( actually EOG smooth scrolling is a feature I have sometimes dreamt of )  ... but I would also like to ask if there is a way to get this SMOOTH scrolling without needing the cursor pointer to be over the scrollbar.

  Sometime ago, I can't remember where I read that usability experts had found that many (maybe 'most', I can't remember exactly) people, while surfing and reading on the Web, they used to 'leave' the cursor pointer 'resting' on the right side of the screen, not over the scrollbar but on the right side. Well ... it happens that it is also my way when surfing on the net ... and when using EOG too ...

  For me the most confortable way of getting this SMOOTH scrolling would be having it BY DEFAULT without needing to remember everytime that I need to position the cursor pointer over the scrollbar, ie. getting this behaviour in a SEAMLESS way ... so I'd like to ask you ...

  ... is there any hidden option in Dconf ... or there is any plugin to get this kind of behaviour ????

 Thank you.

(1)  In order to test GTK+ apps and Kwin INTERACTION after upgrading to Kubuntu Precise ... I have tried to replicate a SIMILAR behaviour with Gedit. Text files scrolling with Gedit 3.4.1 is SMOOTH no matter if the mouse pointer is positioned over the scrollbar or not. Comparing this behaviour with Kubuntu Oneiric's ( I have an Oneiric back-up partition ) ... well ... Gedit 3.2.3 also scrolls the same no matter the position of the mouse pointer, but in this version the scrolling is NOT smooth, but taking little steps.