Re: EOG Keeps Resizing Itself After Ubuntu 12.04 Upgrade

Hi Frank,

Am Mittwoch, den 02.05.2012, 18:24 +1000 schrieb Frank in Ubuntu:
> Hi. I just upgraded to Ubuntu 12.04, and all went fine except for some
> weird behaviour from EOG. Basically, when I resize its window it will
> change shape and size when it gets to a larger image. Nothing in my
> settings has changed - it's still set to Best Fit - so it has nothing to
> do with the setting for viewing at their original size. When an image is
> too large to be displayed, it will still have 65% or whatever in the
> status bar, but the window size will extend from my top panel to the
> bottom (I'm using Gnome 3 Classic) - before, if I had resized the window
> to be, for example, 2/3 of the height, it would just stay exactly the
> same, and just resize images accordingly.

this sounds extremely odd. The size of each eog window is determined by
the first displayed image's size or by taking a default value if the
window's empty. Afterwards it doesn't change the window size of it own
anymore.

> Also, I actually watched the first image's window being resized without
> me doing anything, and while that only happened a couple of times,
> whenever I get to another picture with different size or aspect ratio,
> it decides to resize itself yet again.

You mean the window was resized while watching an image (without
skipping ahead or back)?

> I've had a look in the Compiz settings, since I had to reset a couple of
> things after the upgrade, but I found nothing of use, and I can confirm
> that this is only happening with EOG.

Well, I can't see the problem with a stock GNOME 3 in fallback mode. But
I remember that Compiz was able to trick the window size algorithm into
choosing a wrong window size by providing wrong display sizes to eog.
Can you try with Compiz disabled?

Regards,

Felix