Re: Bug or normal behavior?

On Tue, 2012-02-21 at 08:50 +0800, chen huacai wrote:
> Hi, all

Hi,

> I found when I view a 4M jpg file with eog-3.2.2, it consumes more
> than 100M memory (memory information is obtained with Alt+SysRq+M).
> But everything is OK if I use firefox to view them. So, I want to know
> whether this behavior is normal, or there is a bug in eog? It cause my
> PC crashes when I view several images together...
>
> Below are files for testing, I use Arch Linux with kernel 3.2.5.
> http://dev.lemote.com/filebox.cgi?p=download&f=DSC_1660.JPG
> http://dev.lemote.com/filebox.cgi?p=download&f=DSC_1670.JPG

well, if you compare an empty eog with an eog that has your image loaded
your numbers can be called "expected" considering that the uncompressed
image data of one your pictures alone adds around 40M to the memory
footprint. What's interesting though is that the empty eog instance
already takes around 50M (measured using top). That could be worth an
investigation. Also note that switching images causes a short spike in
memory usage as there's is a (really) short moment where both
uncompressed images require memory.

I wonder how this can crash your PC though. Even if it doesn't have a
lot of memory, I always expected that eog would be aborted by the
kernel's out of memory handler.

> Best regards,
> Huacai Chen

Regards,