Re: EOG View Exif Plugin options

Am Dienstag, den 04.10.2011, 12:11 +0200 schrieb Xavier Guillot:
> Hello,

Hello Xavier,

> I have a little question regarding View Exif plugin of Eye of Gnome.
>
> First thanks to developers for this useful and easy-to-use program,
> which does very good what it is for, fast image viewing.
>
> I know that your goal is to provide the user the best experience and
> that philosophy is to not offer too many configuration options - for
> example I read the discussions about possibility to let user choice
> behavior when scrolling mouse on an image, between zooming or going to
> previous / next image in the folder, and even if I would have preferred
> being able to choose, I understand your point of view.
>
> So I'm aware that my question below will perhaps have the same reply.
> This is just about plugin View Exif :
>
> - First, is there a way to make EoG remember presence of the lateral
> panel on the left of the window ? If I make it visible with menu "View",
> then close Eye of Gnome and restart it, panel is gone, I have to
> re-select it, on EoG 3.2 (it worked in a previous version 2.32 that I
> have on my laptop in Ubuntu Natty, it remains selected).

Yes, that sounds like a little race condition between the generation of
the window and plugin loading. It could be that the plugins are not
loaded yet for the specific window when it checks if there's content in
the sidebar and then hides it because there's none yet.
The plugin system changed between 2.32 and 3.0 which is why it could
have worked in the older version.

> - How to make in this panel always the View Exif plugin the one visible
> ? If Map plugin is also activated in the preferences, it's this one
> which is automatically shown, I have to select View Exif in the menu,
> I'd like to have it by default.

No, this is not possible yet. At the moment the first view that gets
added to the sidebar should be shown by default. Although it's
interesting to see that the map plugin manages to get preference over
the Exif Details plugin.

You may want to open a feature request for this in our Bugzilla.

> - On the View Exif plugin, is it possible to add some fields that are
> also visible in the "Properties" window of the image :
>
> General : Name - Width - Height - Type - Size
> Metadata : Description - Location - Keywords - Author
> Details : XMP Exif - XMP IPTC
>
> I can remove the RVB histogram in the options but not add other
> descriptions...
>
> Because of course I can let the properties window opened and navigate
> throw my folder with it, but it is not very nice, and is easier to have
> 1 lateral panel with all the informations I want, and not another window
> in front of the image.
>
> Ex: http://pix.toile-libre.org/upload/original/1317722945.png
>
> Is or will there a possibility to modify it, or options in dconf-tools
> for example, available for advanced users who really know what they want
> and do ?

Well, I actually plan to make the data that is available in the
properties dialog's "General" and "Metadata" tab available in the
sidebar again. I don't know if this already enough information displayed
for you ("XMP Exif" and "XMP IPTC" won't be listed).

The Exif Display plugin could still stay as a it only shows the most
important stuff by default and additionally a histogram. I guess noone
would object if someone would make the displayed metadata configurable
for the plugin, allowing a more specific view of metadata.

Regards,

Felix