Re: EoG and RAW (NEF)

Am Montag, den 14.02.2011, 19:50 +0100 schrieb Lenka Sluneckova:
> Hello everybody,

Hi Lenka.

> l would like to express my deepest gratitude to you all for working on
> Eye of Gnome. I use it everyday and I have been very happy with it!

Glad, you like it.

> I was just wondering if you are planning to include RAW (specifically
> NEF, as I am using a Nikon camera) image support, too. I am still able
> to view NEF files in EoG; the problem is, they are in a pitifully low
> resolution. If the problem is already fixed and it's just me being
> ignorant, please instruct me on how to troubleshoot and excuse me for
> waisting your time. If it's not, I would be really thankful for any
> information on possible future plans/ present limitations you might
> have with viewing NEF files.

eog doesn't implement file format filters itself. It rather uses the
gdk-pixbuf library for this. So, if you have a gdk-pixbuf loader that
can read RAW files, eog should be able to use it. The only
RAW-gdk-pixbuf-loader I know is shipped with libopenraw[1]. You should
be able to install it using your distro tools, but I'm not sure if all
distros ship the loader together with libopenraw or how up-to-date their
packages are (libopenraw-0.8 is out for some time now, but I remember
distros were not upgrading for some time).

What you see currently see when opening your NEF files is probably the
embedded preview image loaded by the default TIF loader (I guess NEF
files are a special variant of TIFs).

Regards,

Felix

P.S: Remember, that the RAW loader won't have any of the spiffy controls
that tools like dcraw offer.

[1] http://libopenraw.freedesktop.org/