Re: Some ideas for eog

Hi Tim,

Tim Gerla schrieb:
A little bit of introduction is in order: I am an old-time GNOME hacker. I was approached by Miguel "back in the day" to port my Gtk-based CD player, gtcd, to GNOME. I ended up maintaining the gnome-media set of packages for several years.

congratulations and good luck with your plans. Your appointment is a good news to eog and all eog users.

I have a couple of ideas for eog:

1. Port the application shell to Python and pygtk. This would improve maintainability of the GUI sections of the code, and as long as we left the heavy-duty pixmap-reading code in C, there should be no performance hit.

Is it finally allowed for core gnome applications to be written in languages other than C? If so, its probably a good idea to use some high-level language, let it be python. If you follow this way, the only interesting part of the existing codebase will probably be in libeog/ and there especially eog-scroll-view.c. This contains 90% of the scaling/zooming code.

2. Reorient eog's purpose back towards a single image viewer. Nautilus and f-spot can already do a great job of displaying thumbnails of a set of images, so eog's list view is kind of duplication of effort, and not very featureful compared to what f-spot and nautilus can do.

My experience is, that you need some kind of image-collection feature.
In my opinion, one of the main use cases will be to view all pictuers form a directory. A really usefull and often demanded (see bugzilla) feature is, to open a single image from a directory and then subsequently browse through the list of all images in the dir by clicking next/prev buttons.

2.1. Since eog would be the premiere single-image viewer in existence, we could do a lot of things right, such as printing.

Aargh, printing. Its certainly the most missing feature. :)

Regards,

  Jens (former eog maintainer)