Re: Moving Engagement List to Discourse

On Fri, 2019-03-01 at 12:00 -0500, Christopher Davis via engagement-
list wrote:
After investingating Discourse esterday, I do have some objections
that I think should be considered. Though the software itself is
free,
the mobile app is proprietrary

It's licensed under MIT:
https://github.com/discourse/DiscourseMobile/blob/master/LICENSE.txt

and the Android version has a hard dependency
on the proprietary Google Chrome app. I don't think we should force
developers to
use proprietary applications for out official communication channels.

I've tested and used Firefox on Android to access the mobile site.
Native notifications work fine, and you can add this to your home
screen. It works perfectly well and is probably the preferred method
for use on mobile.

Mailing lists do not have this problem because there are many free
software
e-mail clients.

Luckily, email interaction with Discourse continues to work fine,
should you wish to use it that way:
https://discourse.gnome.org/t/interacting-with-discourse-via-email/46/3

Neil
--
Neil McGovern
Executive Director, The GNOME Foundation