Re: GNOME conferences Youtube channels

On Thu, Sep 20, 2018 at 6:30 AM Ismael Olea <ismael olea org> wrote:
Hi:

Hey,

The GUADEC channel is not managed by the engagement team but by a few
people behind youtube guadec org (CCed).

I'm very happy with how talks' videos has been published and tagged
I can see appropriate to have separate channels for GNOME promotion
(as now) and a different one for video talks.

Thanks. The bulk of the work was done with a new tool I wrote that
consumes the schedule XML file and does the upload with the
appropriate metadata:
https://gitlab.gnome.org/afranke/conference-to-youtube

I still have work to do on it for it to be more widely usable, which
is why I haven’t advertised it yet, but the aim is to make it usable
for any conference.

I'm not familiar with video recording practises with LAS GNOME and
GNOME Asia, but in any case would be great to have all been recorded
and published too.

We try but it’s not always possible, for logistical or financial reasons.

In this sense, maintaining several conference channels is, to me,
suboptimal. I think all conference talks published in the same channel
is nice and good for the better dissemination of contents and image
marketing/engagement.

I disagree.

When managing Youtube channels I've found channels
_are_not_mergeable_, so any reorganization implies removing old
channels, uploading again the old contents and losing all related
data, counters and subscriptions.

Yes, channels are not mergeable, not splittable either, and videos
cannot be transferred across channels.

So I'm proposing to consider renaming the GUADEC Youtube channel
(AFAIK the only conference channel active)

LAS has a channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCraw5o0ELQgGcPqsnXOxUpw
GNOME.Asia has one too but it’s not been used recently:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4xC9dsLPn2RbwQD01GJXRw

to something like «GNOME Conferences» or similar (GNOME Talks?)
suitable to host and publish talks of any technical talks, specially the
ones from the main conferences. I think the required tasks will be just channel
rebranding.

I actually think this is a bad idea, precisely because of branding. We
can associate channel with GNOME by other means, but keeping them
separate allows each conference to use their own identity and that’s a
good thing. It also make it easier to find relevant content.

--
Alexandre Franke
GNOME Hacker