Re: GNOME 3.28 Release Marketing

On Wed, Feb 14, 2018 at 6:47 AM Allan Day <aday gnome org> wrote:

Things that we usually do for releases include:
  • Release notes
  • Screenshots for the release notes and screenshot pack
  • News story for gnome.org
  • Email Friends of GNOME donors
  • Social media plan
  • Release video
  • Support release parties

Some tentative deadlines for this:
  • 28 February - release notes finished and released to the translation teams
  • 7 March - send press packs out under embargo
  • 14 March - publish news story and release notes, email Friends of GNOME donors

This is a slightly more aggressive schedule than we've done in recent years, but it is really what we should be doing in order to give translators enough time and to allow press outreach to happen.

How does that sound?

Stick them on issues, and we'll get them figured it out.  One thing I would like to do is to reach out with VM preview images to various media people and have them take a look at it so we have a lot of reviews on roughly the same time.

One other new thing is to see if we can get on podcasts.  It would be great to see you or Carlos and Neil out there.  We haven't traditionally done that kind of outreach but I think it would be good to do that.

I would do it, but I'm already doing podcasts on behalf of System76 and Pop!_OS and I don't want to muddle messaging or confuse people but I can certainly help with messaging for these things and it will be fun.

As for the social media plan, it would be good to have some highlights and teasers in social media if we can do that.  Build up some anticipation.