Re: Request for budget to update the event box contents

On 8 February 2018 at 12:16, Allan Day <aday gnome org> wrote:
Replying selectively...

Ekaterina Gerasimova <kittykat3756 gmail com> wrote:
There was already one in the US when I was on the board, what's happened to it?

https://wiki.gnome.org/Events/Box/NorthAmerica

As far as I know, Emily still has it. This has been discussed at
various points while I've been on the board and I'm not entirely sure
what the current status is. It's possible that we decided that the box
is too big to be practical, but I might be wrong about that.

I think that box is the same size as the smaller European box. If
there was a size issue, then it would make sense to have a critical
look at what it would be used for and how it would be transported.
e.g. if it's always transported by someone rather than shipped, then a
smaller suitcase could work, but contents would be restricted to
pretty much laptop and stickers.

If the box will be shipped, my recommendation after having gone
through 4 cases is to go for heavy duty ones because while they are
heavy, they won't need to be replaced every year.

By the way, what color banner are you planning on buying? Since the
Foundation color is green and the project color is blue, we have been
encouraging people to try to go for blue when getting banners and things for
booths. This isn't a formal policy of course and it'd be great to hear your
thoughts on this.

Our table cloth is green because we wanted to use the Foundation
colour. The roller banner is blue. One of the old banners is green and
the other is blue. As we're next to the KDE stand, if we have only
blue banners, we blend in too much and it looks weird. Also, we do
represent the Foundation rather than just the project at FOSDEM. i.e.
we talk about the Foundaiton and the work that it does, we've signed
people up for FoG before, etc. I don't know how much this is the case
at other events though.

I'd like to encourage people to use the colours in the draft brand
guidelines. There was a fair amount of work put into these, and it's
important that we use consistent branding wherever possible.

The best we can do for banners is to vaguelly match the colours anyway
unless we go for printing services which are ~2 or more times as
expensive. As they get a lot of use, it's not economical to compromise
on quality.

For print outs, we are trying to have more of a consistent brand. To help
with that we have these draft brand guidelines for designers:
https://raw.githubusercontent.com/gnome-design-team/gnome-marketing/master/brand/style-guide.png
and
https://raw.githubusercontent.com/gnome-design-team/gnome-marketing/master/brand/style-examples.png

Can these please be moved to GNOME infrastructure? It's weird that our
official branding guidelines are not hosted by us.

The fact that they're in Github is probably down to two factors:

 1. Github is where we keep source files and in-development work for design
 2. While I would like to encourage people to follow the guidelines,
they're still a bit rough in places and need to be finished. Once
that's happened we'll probably have a PDF on GNOME infrastructure
somewhere.

There are various historical reasons for 1, including technical
limitations of GNOME infrastructure. With the shift to Gitlab those
might be resolved, and we're experimenting with using it for future
design work.