Itsfoss.com offer to be a media partner, travel and when will the CFP be open.

Dear Friends,

Few days ago,  I had written to the asia-summit-list as a
representative of itsfoss.com with an offer to be a media partner to
cover the upcoming GNOMEAsia summit in Taipei, Taiwan.

I was told that the engagement-list is a better fora to have these
kind of discussions.

While I was told that the CFP would be open in a few days but it seems
it would take perhaps a longer time-frame hence decided to share it
now -

The offer is as below -

Please check out itsfoss.com and then read the points below .

If we are chosen the media partner, we will write at least two
articles. One announcing the event so that more people are aware of
the event and the event can get more registration and exposure. The
second article will be published after the event is concluded. A
summary of event, talks and highlights. This way, again, more people
would know about the event.

These articles will be shared several times with our readers, email
subscribers and social media followers (around 300K in total). If we
attend the event, we'll also share the events and its happenings live
on social media channels. If there are enterprises/companies
participating in the event, we can also interview/cover a few if they
fit our reader base. This way those enterprises will get more exposure
and more value by participating in the event.

Basically, we'll do everything in our capacity to make more people
aware of the event and thus contributing to the success of the event.
If the organizers i.e. you and your team expect something else from
us, please pitch in your suggestions and we will follow if it's
feasible.

What we need in return is not much.  We would want GNOME to  mention
us as their media partners on their website, event presentations (if
possible) and email communications about the event. If you want to
send swags and other merchandise, it's totally up to you but not
mandatory from our side.

For doing so, while itsfoss.com isn't asking for any monetary compensation,
I am and have asked for a partial travel sponsorship/bursary which will help
recover some of the travel expenses, that comes to around USD800 for one
way economy ticket from India to Taiwan . I have kept a bit of overhead as
flight ticket prices be tricky to negotiate and the month I'll be travelling is
travel season as far as India is concerned.

While I've not contributed to GNOME in any meaningful way apart from
putting up few bugs, commenting etc. I have been a free software
advocate for more than a decade.

Disclaimer - I do use mate though as it reminds me of gnome 2.0 and
somehow that has been forever etched in my heart. I do know the
reasons why GNOME has taken the new route though.

As shared above, I am based in India and would like to be part of GNOME Asia if
possible to cover GNOME on the two days.

I was part of Debconf 2016

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n-sqZFAkGxk

and have again put few proposals for debconf this year as well.

https://debconf18.debconf.org/

Here are list of my contributions in free software world so far -

https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/pkgreport.cgi?submitter=shirishag75 gmail com

Have coordinated, participated in workshops about debian all over
India since a decade and more.

https://flossexperiences.wordpress.com/tag/debian/
https://flossexperiences.wordpress.com/tag/events/
https://flossexperiences.wordpress.com/tag/debutsav/
https://flossexperiences.wordpress.com/tag/debconfindia/
https://flossexperiences.wordpress.com/tag/events/

https://itsfoss.com/author/shirish/ (journalist here but more for newbie crowd)
https://github.com/shirishag75 - upstream github contributions.(mostly
tickets though of softwares I use) ,

I have done few in mercurial and other VCS`s as well but nothing
notable though.

Another thing I wish to share. I had tried to hold a GNOME release party
with couple of colleges in 2011 (GNOME 3.0) but was unable to hold due to
the controversies surrounding the release (basically that it was a memory hog
and lot of incompatible changes from GNOME 2.0)

https://wiki.gnome.org/ThreePointZero/LaunchParty/India/Pune

In the college's defense, most colleges don't really have a full-time sys-admin
or even if they have, (s)he's not paid properly, nor are her(is) needs
for a proper
hardware maintenance let alone have an  upgrade policy are there.

I did distribute the buttons and swag at different events

And with the last few years, VM's and containers are configured pretty shoddily
and all experiments are supposed to be done in the VM space.

I dunno if the engagement-list is the best place or not to have these kind of
discussions, but some middle path should be found out.

Looking forward to know more.

--
          Regards,
          Shirish Agarwal  शिरीष अग्रवाल