Re: [Engagement] Relaying out bug fixes news via social media

On Mon, Nov 6, 2017 at 3:26 AM, Sriram Ramkrishna <sri ramkrishna me> wrote:
We did have something that was called the [commit
digest](https://blogs.gnome.org/commitdigest/), a weekly blog post
highlighting the most interesting code changes, and it was good.
That’s what you should aim at. Twitter or blog posts doesn’t really
matter, but the curation aspect is key to make it good. Unfortunately,
Frédéric Peters was the only one putting in the time that requires and
after quite a while he moved to other things.

What made it good?  What was the work involved around it?

It was good because:
* it was once a week, that’s often enough to keep informed but not too
much so one manages to keep up with the amount of info
* it was a one line summary for what could be several bug reports
closed, or a huge amount of commits
* that summary was high level and human readable

The work involved reading commits-list, picking interesting bits
manually and writing a good summary.

As a side note, the fact it was on a blog meant there was an RSS feed
and people could follow along without being on one of those silos… I
get that Twitter, Facebook and co are a way to reach out to people
outside our community, but there are also good reasons for people not
to be on there and we should cater to them as well, so hopefully
whatever you implement addresses this.

How about we do this as the first step then? That would give the curated
content, and also the ability for newcomers to share something.  It should
address most of your concerns, yes?

I don’t really get what “this” is in this context.

--
Alexandre Franke
GNOME Hacker & Foundation Director