Subject:        GNOME Style Guide
Date:   Fri, 17 Feb 2017 16:55:22 +0000
From:   Allan Day <aday gnome org>
To:     engagement-list <engagement-list gnome org>

Hi all,

One of the problems we have in the Engagement Team is that each time someone comes to do visual design work, they often pick their own fonts, colours and visual style. This means that the project lacks a single visual identity.

Last year, Carla Quintana Carrasco did some work to help us with this. Over the summer, she helped us evaluate colour schemes, fonts, and visual approaches. I've just created some draft guidelines <https://raw.githubusercontent.com/gnome-design-team/gnome-marketing/master/brand/style-guide.png>, as well as a set of example designs <https://raw.githubusercontent.com/gnome-design-team/gnome-marketing/master/brand/style-examples.png>, based on this work.

My view is that it would be extremely advantageous for us to adopt a set of guidelines, and encourage their use wherever possible. Not only would this help with brand recognition, but it will also make it easier for new contributors to develop their own materials, and will allow us to create a set of template resources that members of the community can use.

It would be great to hear your thoughts on this, including feedback on the guidelines and examples themselves.