Nitpicky thoughts about the new www.gnome.org

Hey,

I have had these thoughts for a while, but now that the new
www.gnome.org website is up and running, I think it is time to share
it.

To me the new website still doesn't convey what GNOME is. It is better
than the previous one, which used really abstract terminology, in
that it prominently features a laptop running GNOME. However, just
saying that it is "an easy and elegant way to use your computer", or
that it "has been designed from the ground up to help you have the
best possible computing experience" is still vague.

When I go to "learn more", I see some nice screenshots and text, but
it still expects my to read between the lines to figure out that GNOME
is a client side OS (or a desktop environment for the more technically
savvy) for laptops and desktops.

In comparison, we are a lot more verbose on the front page about asking
people to help us out with their time and money.

As an arbitrary data point, www.gimp.org states very clearly that it is
an image editor: "the free & open source image editor", "GIMP is a cross-
platform image editor ...", etc..

Maybe we should be a bit more assertive?

Don't get me wrong though. I do mostly like the new website.

Cheers,
Rishi