Re: community input...

On Sun, Dec 31, 2017 at 7:16 AM Tobias Mueller <muelli cryptobitch de> wrote:
Hi.

On Thu, 2017-12-28 at 22:26 -0300, Felipe Ferreira da Silva wrote:
>  but I think the lack of a more accessible medium of communication is
> required.
I don't think it gets more accessible than email and IRC.
At least from the technical side of things.
Email has been around for as long as the Internet exists. We have
tooling to deal with it and it's not going away anytime soon.
IRC is an open enough protocol with many different clients serving
different needs.

I do see that the UX around these tools is not necessarily what pleases
people nowadays.  And I may even go as far and claim that email is not
going to be fixed anytime soon.  But with open technologies like email
and IRC, we can control most of the UX around it.

In general, we do want to have presence in those others.  eg mastodon, and other places.  Managing them is an interesting problem.

My impression is that we expanded the number of communication channels
with the growth of the project but haven't scaled down whenever the
project shrank.  It might be worthwhile to go through the mailing lists,
IRC channels, Wiki pages, Bugzilla components, and so on, and evaluate
whether we can reduce the overhead by removing some options.

Please create an issue in gitlab if there is a task there.  Seems like if we want to close out IRC channels and mailing list that should go into the sysadmin issue list.  It will be easy to get the project involved from there without resorting to the mailing list.