Re: LAS GNOME Update | Postponed until Spring 2018

On Fri, Aug 25, 2017 at 4:54 AM, Felipe Borges <felipeborges gnome org> wrote:
On Fri, Aug 25, 2017 at 8:45 AM, James <purpleidea gmail com> wrote:

> Red Hat (my employer) has a very large, and mostly unused office in
> Montreal which we could probably use if folks want to have an event in
> Montreal. There is really fast wifi, a full kitchen (no stove) and
> lots of tables/chairs, etc...
>
> Montreal is a good North American location, because it is a great
> city, it is close to Europe, and it's not in the United States which
> is more dangerous and politically unstable at the moment.

I fully endorse this initiative. It is coherent with our recent
foundation statement on the immigration ban[0], and more importantly
it would allow many more foundation members to attend (including
myself).

Thanks for the suggestion, I hope that this idea is taken into consideration.

We hear you Felipe, thank you for sending that and we will definitely take it into consideration!

Another important consideration and requirement is that we need to have a local team that can help with a lot of the planning. LAS is kind of like an emerging GUADEC -- it's definitely not going to be as big yet, but eventually we hope it will become as large or larger than GUADEC since it's not just GNOME-centered.

James - I'll touch base with you to learn more about the space and local team there. Thank you for the suggestion!

Is anyone else interested in helping to organize LAS at a local level? Since Spring 2018 (~April) is not that far away, as far as conference-planning goes, we really do need to keep up momentum on the planning. Please let us know at las-gnome gnome org by next week if you're even considering it. That way, we can connect with you further.

Thanks!

Best,
Nuritzi

--