Re: How to archive photos?

On Tue, May 31, 2016 at 5:49 PM, Cassandra Sanchez <cassandra s 18 gmail com> wrote:
Here's this email I sent to Allan regarding photos. In case you're interested, I'm sending it out below.

Thanks Cassandra!

I currently have been storing all of the photos here: https://cloud.gnome.org/index.php/s/bGcGPttHVDcw0dQ

Oh great! Are these shared with the Engagement Team group on ownCloud? I don't seem to see them in my Shared folder.

I hadn't yet shared it with the group, thanks for reminding me! I just shared them with the Engagement Team now. Please let me know if for any reason you still don't have full access!

Yep, I have access now!

There is another folder set up for keeping photos in Shared > Engagement Team - Assets > Photos (see here [1] for the public link). We ought to make sure that all the photos are stored in the same place!

I agree. Should we migrate my fold over to the Photos folder in the Engagement Team folder?

This might be a good opportunity for us to review the structure of the Engagement Team folders in ownCloud. When I originally created these, I thought that they all needed to be in a root directory called Shared, but I see other shared folders in the root now so I think it would be a good idea to break them out. The folders we currently have are:

- Engagement Team - Archive [old material we no longer use]
  - ...
  - ...
  - ...

- Engagement Team - Assets [materials primarily intended for use by the Engagement Team]
  - Dummy Content [we use this for creating screenshots]
  - Photos
  - Screenshots
  - Videos

- Engagement Team - Public [designs we make available for the community to use; there's a public link for the folder]
  - Badges
  - Leaflets
  - Posters
  - Stickers
  - T-Shirts
  - Videos

- Engagement Team - Work In Progress [this is currently empty]

Does this structure make sense to people? I realise that "assets" might not be that common a term for some, but it seemed more specific than "resources".

I don't think I have access other than the public link you sent me, so I may need help with that.

It seems that you weren't a member of the Engagement Team group - I've added you now.

My idea was to use a text file in each folder that holds photos, plus an additional file for each email. This way we'll keep the metadata along with the photos and not some place else.

That sounds good to me. Would we attach a screenshot as the copy of the email that gives us consent? Or what might work best?

I was imagining that we'd save the email as a text file... not sure if that's the best way or not to be honest.

Right now we have quite a few photos, so going through and adding this information one by one will take a while.

Ideally consent would be given for each batch of photos, rather than each one individually. In many cases it would just be a single set of details for each folder.

I'm not sure when I'll get a chance to work on typing it all into a text file! Moving forward, it'll be important to make sure everyone is aware of this documentation process so photos don't just get dumped in and we don't lose their source/licensing information.

Agreed. I'm working on some draft guidelines that I'll send round.

Thanks again!