Re: How to archive photos?

Hey Cassandra!

On Tue, May 24, 2016 at 6:30 AM, Cassandra Sanchez <cassandra s 18 gmail com> wrote:
First of all, so sorry for taking so long to get back to you. I've had a very busy last couple of weeks.

No problem!

I currently have been storing all of the photos here: https://cloud.gnome.org/index.php/s/bGcGPttHVDcw0dQ

Oh great! Are these shared with the Engagement Team group on ownCloud? I don't seem to see them in my Shared folder.

There is another folder set up for keeping photos in Shared > Engagement Team - Assets > Photos (see here [1] for the public link). We ought to make sure that all the photos are stored in the same place!

The photos are each named with the licensing information to make sure that everything is accounted for and useable. I think it'd be a great idea to have another place to store the licensing information. Maybe in an EtherCalc?

If a photo is Creative Commons licensed, we probably need to record:

 * Title (only if provided by licensor, not needed for CC 4.0)
 * Author name
 * Author contact (link, email address)
 * Source URL (if published online)
 * License (including link)

If we don't have a URL pointing to a licensed version of the photo, we also need a record of the copyright holder granting the license. This could be a copy of an email.

My idea was to use a text file in each folder that holds photos, plus an additional file for each email. This way we'll keep the metadata along with the photos and not some place else.

As for my process in gathering these photos... I started off with a list of people that typically take photos at events, and sent them emails or private messages on social media (i.e. Facebook & Flickr). The message was something like this:

Approaching individuals is a good idea. One thing I'd also like to do is hunt down the photographers for specific photos, like the GUADEC group photos. It's important to have a historical record of those.

Thanks,

Allan

[1] https://cloud.gnome.org/public.php?service=files&t=a81395e61fd9e241ae97449649d13b8d