Re: How to archive photos?

On Wed, May 18, 2016 at 12:45 PM, Tobias Mueller <muelli cryptobitch de> wrote:
I have had other cases where photos have been provided to me
directly.
Say at GUADEC I might ask someone to email me the group photo to post
on gnome.org.

In that case it seems as if the author of the picture consented to you
using their work. But you may ask for a (written) statement as well,
just to be sure.

One point that's worth making here: while it's probably OK for a
copyright holder to grant us permission to use a photo, I'm leaning in
the direction of only using photos that are Creative Commons licensed.
The main reason for this is simplicity, but it also gives more
flexibility and is more in keeping with GNOME's mission.

 People have also given me photos at events physically
with an SD card, or through some kind of file transfer.

that makes it more challenging to get a trail of the given consent.

Yes, in that situation we should probably ask for an email outlining
what terms the photos are licensed under (or ask that the photos come
with the licence embedded).

If it's bound to some authentication mechanism, you may be able to
make
the sender accept that the photos may be used by the GNOME
Foundation.

What sort of mechanism would that be?

Maybe the owncloud thing. Because you need to be given an account
first. That account could be bound to give the GF the usage rights.
Planet GNOME could also be such a thing.

However, I guess in most cases including a picture in a publication by
the GF constitutes fair use. Of course, going down that route is not a
nice option for anyone involved.

It's also worth considering that we want these images for archival
purposes - we might want to use the photos in the future in ways that
the author might not have anticipated.