Re: NOTES | GNOME Social Media Hackathon on March 5th

Hey everyone!

This all looks great! Looks like you had a very productive event.
Also, these are excellent notes, and it's great to have them
circulated so quickly after the event!

I just want to chip in with a few notes...

Nuritzi Sanchez <nuritzis stanfordalumni org> wrote:
Content for posts: We have a posting schedule and some posts for the days
leading to, and directly following, the release day

It could be good to have events from the release schedule on here. For
example, the release candidate is scheduled for 16 March.

It's also nice to try and give an insight into what is happening
behind the scenes. For example, you can do tweets like "Our
maintainers are busy preparing their final releases for 3.20. Not long
to go now..." or "The Release Team is busy checking on the last few
components for 3.20." or "Just one or two bugs left to resolve, and
3.20 will be ready to go." This requires that you are following the
process - it helps to be on desktop-devel-list and the #release-team
IRC channel for this.

Adelia put together some templates on a Libre Office spreadsheet (attached)
to help us plan our social media strategy.

It might be an idea to put the spreadsheet in ownCloud. That way other
members of the team can contribute, and it avoids having to circulate
different versions by email.

Social Media Audit: We've added a list of social media channels, but not all
may be official. We still need to add to this list, so that we understand
which ones we think should be official. This list lets also captures who can
post to each channel.

Note that previous tracking of our channels has been done here:
https://wiki.gnome.org/Engagement/Channels

Audit of current social media status
- possible actions - delete/consolidate accounts to simplify social presence

I suspect that it isn't considered to be good practice, but one
motivation in the past has been to acquire Twitter names that we might
want in the future, or which others might want to claim.

- centralize passwords? tool to share access on a need basis?

We've discussed having a database of passwords in the past. One thing
that came out of that discussion was the realisation that the most
important thing is to have accounts registered to email addresses that
are controlled by our sysadmins (our Twitter account is registered to
microblog gnome org, for instance). (This isn't possible for all
accounts, of course. Facebook and G+ are obvious examples.)

There has also been discussion about channel ownership in the past. A
centralised database only makes sense when you have combined ownership
of channels rather than per-channel ownership.

Thanks,