Re: Revisiting the Friends of GNOME webpages

Sriram Ramkrishna <sri ramkrishna me> wrote:
• How does the LWN subscription work? How do donors find out how to
use it? This is missing from the mockups at the moment.

I can ask Nathan if you like?

I'd hope that someone involved in Friends of GNOME could tell us!
Thanks for the offer, but let's wait and see before asking him.

• All the images were picked in a hurry. Some probably aren't correct
so we will need to find better ones.

Ask a tax consultant perhaps?  Consult your local tax expert?

That's kind of my point - certainly in Europe people don't have
accountants do their taxes for them. It would be nice if we could
point someone in the right direction without telling them to consult
an expert that they don't have access to.

• I'm uncertain about one time donations, particularly how much
exposure we give them. I know that many charitable organisations
deliberately push people towards subscriptions. Maybe we shouldn't
give it as much exposure.

It depends.. one time donations are useful if we are doing something goal
based.

That's a good point. In the past I've suggested splitting out
campaigns from Friends of GNOME itself. I should probably add that to
the mockups to see how it looks.

But sometimes people might find something they really liked in a
release and want to exuberantly give to GNOME because of it without having
to set up a subscription.  I don't think we want to lose those kind of
people just for the same of subscription.

I know that the Foundation has had some big one time donations in the
past. So yes, I suppose that we need the option to be available. I
guess it's a question of how prominent it is on the page. (In our
current pages it isn't very prominent at all.)