Re: Asset licensing guidelines

On Fri, Jun 3, 2016 at 12:08 AM Allan Day <aday gnome org> wrote:
On Fri, Jun 3, 2016 at 7:59 AM, Sriram Ramkrishna <sri ramkrishna me> wrote:

Thanks,  Allan for doing this.  My only question is what you mean by not posting creative commons  on social media.   Can you expand on that?

Sure. This is definitely one area where I had to make a guess!

The terms of service of Facebook (and I think Twitter) assume that the poster is the author of any assets they post. They also relicense any materials posted, in order to grant themselves permission to reproduce those assets. It seems to me that this is incompatible with Creative Commons licenses - since their whole point is that someone other than the author can't strip the licence and replace it with one of their own.

Oh, interesting I didn't think of that.  That said, the share-alike license does grant Facebook and Twitter rights to duplicate which is all they are asking anyways.

I should stress that this is purely my own interpretation. I've searched the web and haven't been able to find any advice, and I can't find anything on the Creative Commons website about it. I've even asked on #creative-commons but didn't get a reply.

We could ask Pam Chestek?  She might be able to tell us or perhaps the Facebook legal team?

It seems creative commons has a facebook page. :-)
https://www.facebook.com/creativecommons

We could ask there.