Re: business cards..

On Wed, Sep 23, 2015 at 2:27 AM, Allan Day <allanpday gmail com> wrote:
Sriram Ramkrishna <sri ramkrishna me> wrote:
> To re-iterate my point, I'm saying that for a lot of people, mailing lists
> is anachronistic.  People communicate quite a bit differently these days.

I'm totally not disagreeing with that. :) My question is how to make
sure that whatever alternative is sustainable. Making contact through
Twitter will surely be more familiar to some people, but it doesn't
help if there's no one on the other end responding.

> The info gnome org could simply be re-directed to engagement list and maybe
> we could rotate the responsibility to respond to queries on it?

I would be very wary about having what looks like a private looking
email address forward to a public mailing list - it would well be
surprising for senders.

I think including social media like Facebook and Twitter on the business card is a good idea, but the main focus of the card should be the email address. Maybe we can create a smaller group of volunteers to monitor that address as opposed to the larger engagement mailing list. The GNOME rep responding to that email address can then help the newcomer sign up for a mailing list, tell them more about GNOME, and encourage them to participate / be an informal mentor.

Nuritzi Sanchez  |  +1.650.218.7388 |  Endless