check out this survey on open source

One thing in there is that it talks about the most valuable open source projects, the list consists of:
*openstack
* LInux
* Docker
* Drupal
* Libreoffice
* Ubuntu
* Postgres

I think the list is quite a bit more IMHO.  But there is no reason why we can't make that list of valuable open source projects.  We should think about how we can make that list.  I find it interesting that Ubuntu is listed, it is tied in with cloud computing and open stack.  That's a great achievement.  But pieces that composes Ubuntu also come from GNOME.

This is why we want to start talking about metrics and documenting our achievements.