Re: "What is GNOME?"

On Sat, May 16, 2015 at 7:57 PM, Sriram Ramkrishna <sri ramkrishna me> wrote:
I disagree.  I think it's time to retire it.  In fact, I'm much more
interested in focusing on our mission and less on the UX.
Agree that the we should focus more the the mission and the values of the
project, this is especially true for the website in general.

that emotional connection with people, I'd like to see more about the
things we do, and the things we support.  I like to showcase our
support for privacy, our support for software freedom, and our support
for equality and ethics.
Very much like the part here about trying make a emotional connection
with people, by doing that I think we can make them want to use GNOME
(or even try it).

Those are things that we have in common with
so many other organizations and people.
Its also something that different us a from so many other software and
product offerings.

Using GNOME means not only
using utilitarian and ethical software, but you're joining a community
that has the same values as you.
Yeah +1

So yes present the UX, but introduce the thing before doing that! :)
Yeah we have a beautiful UX & UI that we should not be afraid of displaying.

I actually want to focus more on community on the front page than the
desktop.
Yes, I also want to see the values and mission of the project to be
more present on the front page.

Anyways, good discussion.
Yeah, very good discussion indeed.

So realize that nothing can be done until
after GUADEC on the web page, but we should definitely work on some
mockups and have some discussions on what is the purpose of the front
page today.  What is the face of GNOME today.  We the engagement >team owns it, let's figure out how to
make something interesting and fun.
We definitely should.

--
-mvh Oliver Propst