Re: Kicking off some questions for the 2015 sysadmin sponsorship brochure (or fundraising campaign)

Jeff F. T. <nekohayo gmail com> wrote:
Globally, this project will involve:

Thinking about the amount of money we want to aim for, what we'll achieve
with it. To give you a rough idea, the work done with our part-time sysadmin
(Andrea), over the past two years, costs an average of 1200 USD per month
(roughly). In my view we ought to try to raise as much money as we can for
this, and if we do raise significantly more than last round's 45K, it might
mean we can assign additional resources or that we can keep going for
longer.

I think it's important to be realistic with the goal amount - it
wouldn't look great if we fall really short. The previous fund raising
campaign happened in a different era, and I remember that the Friends
of GNOME aspect of it - which Stormy and the then marketing team put a
lot of work into - was one of the most successful ever run.

Figuring out who our target audience and sponsors would be. Besides the
traditional prospects in our circles, I was thinking this can be a nice
opportunity to involve cloud/hosting companies and get them closer to GNOME
that way. We'll need contacts in those organizations for that to work,
though.

It doesn't have to be hosting companies: it could be others in the
server/sysadmin space. Think Vagrant, Puppet Labs, Nagios, and so on.

Thinking about the perks that sponsors get for various levels (if any?) of
sponsorship

The obvious thing would be positive marketing, through social media
and the website. Or maybe Andrea could get tattoos of the company
logos? :)

Can't think of much else.

Considering whether a traditional brochure-style print/PDF document is the
way to go, or if it should be some sort of dynamic crowdfunding-style
micro-site, or...

Agree with the previous comment - it depends on who is targeted.

Whether we take the "one big fundraiser every few years" approach, or if we
do some sort of annual/recurrent "subscription" supporter model. I'm under
the impression the monolithic fundraising approach is easier and better (not
sure we want to be hunting for funds all the time for this particular
aspect).

Again I think it depends on who the target is. If we get sponsorship
from companies that wouldn't usually support GNOME, then a
subscription model would make sense. Otherwise, a campaign with one
time donations would allow us to cast a wider net.

A word of caution though: I wonder whether it is wise to introduce an
additional sponsorship stream at a time when there is pressure on the
channels we already have (advisory board fees and conference
sponsorship).

What our timeframe should be. This has been an "ASAP" item for a while but
we need a deadline here. Unfortunately it's quite late as corporate budgets
are being set as we speak (end of year 2015), though there is the
non-negligible opportunity of leveraging year-end donations by individuals.

I don't have much insight here, I'm afraid. What are the best times of
year to ask for money? We need to take other funding drives into
account here.