Re: Kicking off some questions for the 2015 sysadmin sponsorship brochure (or fundraising campaign)

On Thu, Dec 17, 2015 at 1:33 AM, Cosimo Cecchi <cosimo cecchi gmail com> wrote:
In my opinion, asking for a specific amount of money almost always works
better than asking for an unbounded amount.

Totally agree.

Of course I agree that the more we get, the better it is; perhaps a good way
to formulate this would be to borrow from crowdfunding and use the concept
of "stretch goal"?

Yep. That also means that we should formulate initial goals. It could
be something as simple as "keep the infrastructure running for two
years".

We want to avoid raising funds for a topic without showing attaching
something that feels concrete to the audience. "Implementing the
following list of security features" would probably work better than
the "raising funds for security" campaign we had. From a management
perspective once the target is reached as well, because then we have a
more precise notion of what we want to do with the funds.

Not sure if it really applies to a field that's almost by design in
"response mode" like sysadmin though.

I'm sure we can find a way to express it that feels like a goal to reach.

Relatedly, do you/Andrea see the sysadmin work (and expenses) increasing or
decreasing in the medium term?
Are there any medium or large projects that we would do if we had funds or
resources?

https://www.dragonsreach.it/2015/12/02/three-years-and-counting/ has a
few items, like implementing single sign-on.

--
Alexandre Franke
GNOME Hacker & Foundation Director