Re: Teaching Open Source Follow-Up

On Tue, Aug 18, 2015 at 8:30 PM, Sriram Ramkrishna <sri ramkrishna me> wrote:

On Tue, Aug 18, 2015 at 7:43 AM Shobha Tyagi <tyagishobha gmail com> wrote:

On Mon, Aug 17, 2015 at 7:33 PM, Sriram Ramkrishna <sri ramkrishna me>
wrote:

On Mon, Aug 17, 2015, 03:57 Shobha Tyagi <tyagishobha gmail com> wrote:

hi sir,

This is something really great. how can we make use of it?

shobha

Hi Shobha!

Are you referring to the red hat initiative or the list of helpful
technology's?
both but I meant we must also have some stuff in GNOME as well.
so that young faculty members can learn about GNOME projects around the
globe.
some faculty members are so impressive that they make their students to
follow.
I hope everybody wants get upgraded and are very much interested in
learning and contributing to open source projects.
Due to lack of guidance they quit.
Shobha

Right, so at the moment, it's kind of hard to follow because we don't have
good tooling.  Christian has talked about this before when he started GNOME
University.  It's absolutely true that people are hungry.  But following
GNOME is kind of hard at the moment.  For students, GNOME is hard because
you have to learn software engineering practices that in an environment
where most students tend to work by themselves instead of teams.
very true..

So GNOME has to retool a little bit in order to able to scale to more
volunteers.  That's why you see me throwing suggestions.  I think the best
methodology is to actually get involved in QA because it doesn't require
technical expertise, and gives you a chance to get to know the project.  It
is a great gateway team.

As for creating a curriculum, we should try to partner with the Red Hat
program and Openhatch (https://openhatch.org/).  If you look at their front
page, you'll see stuff like 'Find a project'.  We can advertise projects
there as well as on our website that maps to a classroom of sorts.  For
students and faculty things observing how we release complicated software
would be quite educational.  GNOME has a lot to offer students and students
in this regard.

as I have enrolled in PhD this year can I be of any help in creating
something useful
for newcomers learning;
how GNOME follow software engineering practices?

thanks
Shobha
I plan on meeting with the Dean of Science and Head of the Computer Science
dept at Purdue on some of these issues.  The thing is, if we do not have the
project on a setting that can take volunteers and process them, the effort
will be stillborn as people will get frustrated.

sri

Sri

On Sat, Aug 15, 2015 at 1:10 AM, Sriram Ramkrishna <sri ramkrishna me>