Re: Teaching Open Source Follow-Up

On Tue, Aug 18, 2015 at 7:43 AM Shobha Tyagi <tyagishobha gmail com> wrote:
On Mon, Aug 17, 2015 at 7:33 PM, Sriram Ramkrishna <sri ramkrishna me> wrote:

> On Mon, Aug 17, 2015, 03:57 Shobha Tyagi <tyagishobha gmail com> wrote:
>
> hi sir,
>
> This is something really great. how can we make use of it?
>
> shobha
>
> Hi Shobha!
>
> Are you referring to the red hat initiative or the list of helpful
> technology's?
both but I meant we must also have some stuff in GNOME as well.
so that young faculty members can learn about GNOME projects around the globe.
some faculty members are so impressive that they make their students to follow.
I hope everybody wants get upgraded and are very much interested in
learning and contributing to open source projects.
Due to lack of guidance they quit.
Shobha

Right, so at the moment, it's kind of hard to follow because we don't have good tooling.  Christian has talked about this before when he started GNOME University.  It's absolutely true that people are hungry.  But following GNOME is kind of hard at the moment.  For students, GNOME is hard because you have to learn software engineering practices that in an environment where most students tend to work by themselves instead of teams.

So GNOME has to retool a little bit in order to able to scale to more volunteers.  That's why you see me throwing suggestions.  I think the best methodology is to actually get involved in QA because it doesn't require technical expertise, and gives you a chance to get to know the project.  It is a great gateway team.

As for creating a curriculum, we should try to partner with the Red Hat program and Openhatch (https://openhatch.org/).  If you look at their front page, you'll see stuff like 'Find a project'.  We can advertise projects there as well as on our website that maps to a classroom of sorts.  For students and faculty things observing how we release complicated software would be quite educational.  GNOME has a lot to offer students and students in this regard.

I plan on meeting with the Dean of Science and Head of the Computer Science dept at Purdue on some of these issues.  The thing is, if we do not have the project on a setting that can take volunteers and process them, the effort will be stillborn as people will get frustrated.

sri