Re: Need a good and recent book on GLib/GTK+

Hi Sébastien,

On 09/16/2014 12:12 PM, Sébastien Wilmet wrote:
Hi Christian,
What do you think about the idea described here:
https://mail.gnome.org/archives/foundation-list/2014-September/msg00064.html

I don't know what to respond with other than, "Yes" :-)

Having the tutorials written in the glib git repository has the
advantage that it'll hopefully be updated when something becomes
outdated.

If our documentation is any indicator, it probably wont...

However for a printed book, copying the tutorials and gluing them
together may not have a good result. If the path to follow is GLib ->
GObject -> GIO -> GTK+ [1], when reading the GObject introduction, there
should be a reference to the GLib introduction. And in the GLib
conclusion, a reference to the GObject introduction.

Also, the GTK-Doc documentation is written with links to symbols in
mind. For a printed book, there are references to sections/pages.

[1] Maybe having GTK+ at the end is not great. So having a short
introduction to GTK+ to be able to display a window with a label and
a button could be added in an earlier chapter.

We could do things as a "volume set" sort of like art of computer
programming. Each book could focus on a different vertical of the platform.

From your linked mail: I like the idea of getting applications to the
point of doing the logic in C, and the UI in XML/JS (or Vala or Python).
I think that makes a lot of sense from a bunch of angles.

-- Christian