Re: Need a good and recent book on GLib/GTK+

Hi Christian,

On Sun, Aug 17, 2014 at 01:12:53PM -0700, Christian Hergert wrote:
On 08/17/2014 07:15 AM, Sébastien Wilmet wrote:
But even with a perfect toolkit, if there is no good introduction,
beginners will anyway learn something else.

If anyone wants to work with me on building that content, we could set
up a roadmap. That way it is formalized into the Builder plans as well.

What do you think about the idea described here:
https://mail.gnome.org/archives/foundation-list/2014-September/msg00064.html

Having the tutorials written in the glib git repository has the
advantage that it'll hopefully be updated when something becomes
outdated.

However for a printed book, copying the tutorials and gluing them
together may not have a good result. If the path to follow is GLib ->
GObject -> GIO -> GTK+ [1], when reading the GObject introduction, there
should be a reference to the GLib introduction. And in the GLib
conclusion, a reference to the GObject introduction.

Also, the GTK-Doc documentation is written with links to symbols in
mind. For a printed book, there are references to sections/pages.

[1] Maybe having GTK+ at the end is not great. So having a short
introduction to GTK+ to be able to display a window with a label and
a button could be added in an earlier chapter.

Cheers,
Sébastien