Website improvements

I understand gnome.org improvements is a possible topic at the GUADEC
Engagement Team BOF [1], this could maybe provide some input to that
discussion.

Design
I think it would be cool if the site displayed a little more confidence
now that GNOME 3 have matured quite a bit since the last design update,
I understand that “hero images” [2] are popular these days maybe its
something to consider. In general think it would be cool to try some new
and brave things with the website (I’m of course aware of the very
limited resources the Web team [3] have in form of manpower). Also think
we can work even harder on what message we want to communicate on the
website, Mozilla have made some efforts in this area [4].

Content
I think its time to update the application list [5], maybe include a
gallery of pictures from GNOME events. Would also be cool to integrate
videos on the site, Mozilla can serve as a source of inspiration here as
well [6] [7].

1 https://wiki.gnome.org/GUADEC/2014/BOFs/EngagementTeam
2 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hero_image
3 http://www.gnome.org/applications/