Re: Note about upcoming conferences

On Fri, 2014-07-11 at 07:14 -0500, meg ford wrote:
Hey Oliver,

On Fri, Jul 11, 2014 at 5:53 AM, Oliver Propst
<oliver propst gmail com> wrote:
        I think this is the page [1] you are looking for.

        We tend to create a wiki page about a specific event once we
        know that
        someone will attend/speak, like this one [2].

Thanks, I was aware of the pages you pointed me to :)

Basically I was wondering if there are events where GNOME should have
a presence, e.g. where it should be a priority, and if there could be
a list of them. We don't seem to have events for the US listed in that
way on the wiki. That way, if people can look at the page if they are
attending a conference, and if they have time they can also organize
something GNOME-related at the conference --e.g. a meetup, table,
talk, etc.

Does that make sense?
You raise an interesting question.  I still think the foundation would
need to ensure that it can provide some kind of sponsorship with such
list. Would be interesting to hear other people's opinions about this.

        > and (2) is it
        > possible for your team to provide a general outline of a
        process non-team
        > members can follow to contact your team and easily
        co-ordinate a GNOME
        > presence?

        Well I consider everyone who is willing to speak about GNOME a
        team
        member. Write to this list a good start, we are also quite
        active on
        irc (#engagement).

        > I've had some slight difficulty coordinating things in the
        past
        > because I have to send emails to so many places, wait for
        > to contact next, etc :)

        Hm, the event wiki page are featured on main gnome wiki page
        [3].

For example, to get funding for the event box, I needed to write the
board, who didn't get a chance to respond to the funding request for
materials, then also Zana to coordinate the delivery of the box, then
the person who had the box, and in the end nothing happened so I just
did a booth without any box :)
Its unfortunate you didn't get the box, your story highlight's
a weakness in our process, it would be great if we could improve it.
I think this would make an excellent agenda item for a future engagement
team meeting. Cool that you did the event without a box :)

Anyway, none of it is a big deal, but since we have events here a few
times a year and I had some questions I thought I'd ask.
Its really great that you are interested in hosting GNOME events and ask
about this.

--
-mvh Oliver Propst